Friday, July 08, 2005

Old Hippy Concert

You knew it, when this big gray haired guy stood up alone while John Fogerty sang Born on the Bayou, early on pumping his fists in the air, and screaming out. He was dressed normal, but here was a closet hippy. If I close my eyes, I can see him with his bong getting stoned, and passin' it around while CCR blares "Proud Mary". Oh, shit, those were the days, the anti'establishment, get stoned and blast the stereo, while the sixties and seventies fly by. And then there was John Mellencamp, more positive rock and roll, my son said. Yeah, but I still like that song, "Pink Houses." "Ain't that America, you and me, something to see, baby. Little pink houses for you, for you and me, girl. Oh, yeah." The hope of the past seeking fruition in the present. And if you got one, in the middle of the country, you made it, like your parents before you. You got it all. The American dream realized. Isn't that what it's all about?

No comments: