Monday, July 25, 2005

Living With Terror

Okay, we're supposed to continue to live our lives normally, but let's be real, there is no normal with this plague on humanity. There are no rules or ways to fight this, except to be prepared, and keep on guard for anything different or out of the ordinary. Commuters on my train have new visitors, the MBTA SPECIAL FORCES, the black suited policemen, and one eyed me suspiciously when I dared to make eye contact with him at my usual commuter station for the past ten years. Well, my suspicions were correct. This blonde haired moustachioed guy eyed me and my back back for a few seconds with a total blank expression. But the eyes said everything I needed to know. No one is above suspicion, and they are looking for anything suspicious, including me for looking at them. So, forget racial profiling. On the positive side anyone could be a singled out, male or female, black or white or asian, latino, whatever. On the negative side, it feels like a Stephen King movie to have the policeman question me in his mind, even for brief seconds. But I find myself also looking for the odd person, the commuter who doesn't fit. This used to be a pleasant experience to take the Commuter Rail into Boston. Now sleeping is fitful at best, reading is intermittent, and relaxation is at a minimum. Actually, the Men in Black are beginning to be a welcome sight in this new world order.

No comments: